1.19.2005

Ragu alla Bolognese - Redux



This is a reprise of an enormously delicious sauce made last October--you can find that post here. The batch pictured here was actually made for New Year's Eve 2005 dinner, but I was inspired to post it and draw attention to the original venture by a recent post on Meathenge. Judging from the photo it seems Dr. Biggles has the exact same brand and model of pasta machine as Kitchen Monkey, so maybe he can tell me if he has any advice on cleaning it. I remember the flimsy, multilingual manual saying something about not using water. I then commenced to lose said manual. The spaghetti setting on the machine can be a nightmare if your dough gets stuck in the machine, so I tend to stick to trusty ol' tagliatelle, and yes, if you use semolina you'll have a much richer-tasting noodle. Serve with bruschetta to win the adoration of friends and family.

Seriously though, if you like good home-cooked Italian this sauce will rock your world. Time consuming, yes, but inexpensive. It has gone through modifications, but comes originally from one of Marcella Hazan's books. Did I mention she lives in Sarasota now? One of my friends saw her in Whole Foods the other day, which reminded me of the time a friend of mine from high school swore up and down that he had seen Bob Dylan in his local Berkeley, CA supermarket, standing in the frozen foods isle, staring at a box of Creamsicles. I believe him.

3 comments:

Guy said...

HAHahh, yeah the instructions are funky. I don't believe we paid more than 12 bux though.

I dusted mines with flour before I started and cranked some handles. Plus you're supposed to run through a piece first and toss it. I figure if it get too funky, just toss it in the recycle bin and get another. Actually, if I did this more often I would like to get one that will do a precise cutting job. The wide noodles come out okay, but the finer ones get a bit funky.

AAAAARRRGH. I was looking for my special recipe for a tomato based sauce from a friends grandmother. She moved from Italy years ago. The sauce is crazy fresh good. And yet, it's simmered for 3 hours I think. I thought for sure it was on Meathenge, but NO. I'll have to wait until I git home. It's crazy. Starts with a rack of pork baby back ribs, browned. Too cool.
Where's the recipe for this one you just made? Or will any Bolognese do? Or do I have to go back and find your original post? I'll go see.

Biggles

Kitchen Monkey said...

I posted a link to the original recipe (from October) in the post above, in the first sentence or two. It might take you to the comments, in which case you should just scroll up. And if you can track down that recipe I'd love to see it!

Kitchen Monkey said...

P.S. You'll notice I had no pasta machine back then. Very old school.