I know almost two weeks have past since I posted last, but I hope to make up for it by bestowing upon you, the reading public, one of my favorite meals to make. This is a Kitchen Monkey Fusion Original (one of very few) that developed through a process of continually tacking on menu items and ingredients that probably shouldn't work together but somehow do.
I tend to make it a few times a year, and it's great for summer. If you don't live in a state with a sizable hispanic population, you may have trouble finding Boniato, in which case you can substitute a combination of regular mashed potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes, which works out alright since Boniato could perhaps best be described as a cross between a potato and a sweet potato. Still, the texture is slightly different, and i think it goes great with the salmon.
Without further ado...
Curry-Glazed Salmon with Black Bean Orange Salsa and Mashed Boniato
2 lbs. salmon fillet, scaled, with skin ON, sliced into 4 pieces
2 Tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. curry powder (or 1/3 tsp each of turmeric, garam masala, and coriander)
salt and pepper
1) Salt and pepper the salmon, combine olive oil and curry spices, baste top of salmon with curry and set in refrigerator for at least a half hour
2) Set salmon pieces in a broiling pan, set oven to broil, and place on the oven rack 2nd to the top. Fish should be done in about 7-10 minutes. Keep checking to make sure top of fish doesn't burn.
1 large navel orange, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup black beans, cooked (or canned) and rinsed
1 fresh tomato, chopped
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno, diced
1 small handfull of chopped fresh cilantro
1) Combine above ingredients in, hmm, let's see, a bowl. Yeah, that sounds good. A bowl.
2 large Boniatos (each approximately the size of a nine-year old's shoe), chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
3 Tbsps. butter
2 Tbsps. sour cream
salt to taste
1) boil enough water for the boniatos, with salt
2) drain water when cubes are soft, mash and mix boniato while adding butter and sour cream. Add more salt if necessary.
Simply scoop upa big wallop of mashed boniato onto a plate, lay a salmon fillet on top, then spoon the salsa on top of the salmon. I also served mine with some zucchini wedges sauteed in olive oil. Very tasty indeed.